The advantages were exhilarating and in no time, Node.js made its way towards becoming the most preferred environment for custom web development.
In fact, Node.js is now the most common development framework for building frontend and backend for web apps. Don’t believe me? Take a look at the stats below.
Clearly, you’re not here for all this, you’re here to learn about the best Node.js framework 2020 to work on.
After doing enough research and weighing all the best Node.js frameworks from experience, I have shortlisted the following top 13 Node.js frameworks based on community support, complexity, popularity, ease of usage, and speed.
But first, let’s learn what a Node framework essentially is.
What is a Node.js Framework?
A Node framework is a network of various libraries and tools to provide web developers with a path to develop and operate web applications without complications.
It is the base layer of a web app.
Source: Seer Omega
Some of the benefits include:
- Seamless data streaming
- Real-time working environment
- Simple coding experience
- Same code pattern throughout development
Let’s now move on to the best Node.js frameworks of 2019.
Best Node.js frameworks 2020
Excellent for single-page web applications, website, or public HTTP APIs, Express.js is an incredibly fast and minimalist Node.js framework.
It gives developers complete freedom to organize and control their projects as they desire.
Since it is lightweight, it acts as a routing framework.
Here are the top benefits of using Express.js.
Source: 3E Solutions
For both web and mobile application development, the framework offers exceptional features, providing developers the opportunity to send and receive requests between front end and database.
Key Features of Express.js
- Completely customizable
- Easy to understand
- Comes with Model-View-Controller to help create eccentric applications
- Easy setup of middleware to respond to HTTP requests
- Fast I/O and robust API to make routing seamless
- Supports 14+ template engines and offers great performance
Github Stars: 44,038
Built keeping in mind the drawbacks of Express.js (like code organization, module logic, and occasion driven callbacks), Hapi.js is a very stable and reliable Node.js framework.
It is a Node.js REST framework, used to develop Representational State Transfer (REST) APIs.
Hapi.js makes a great replacement for Express.js and offers the exceptional ability to create a server with amazing features (like onPreHandler) on one specific IP.
This makes it the most preferred choice for the Node.js server framework.
Built-in support for I/O validation, caching, authentication, third-party plugins support, and many other features make Hapi.js a preferred Node.js framework.
Moreover, what sets it apart from the rest is that it is the only framework that does not depend on outside help and offers full centralized control over each line of code.
Key Features of Hapi.js
- Easy control over request handling
- Seamless document generation
- Detailed API reference
- Caching, authentication, and input validation made easy
- Plugin-based scaling architecture
- Plugins like the joi, catbox, tv, yar, boom, and travelogue are available
- Efficient error handling
- Fast and smart
- Can be used with MySQL, MongoDB, and Postgres to develop static websites
- Helps build real-time chat applications
Github Stars: 11,261
Meteor is a very basic full-stack Node.js system for making mobile just as web applications. It is perfect with web iOS, Android, or desktop.
Here’s how it works:
Source: Meteor Blog
Meteor.js has the capacity of serving huge ventures, for example, reaction commerce, which is one of the biggest and most famous eCommerce open-source ventures.
Key Features of Meteor.js
- Possible sharing of the same APIs on the client as well as server-side components
- Lightweight architecture
- Few lines of code required
- Same code for various devices
- Easy integration with React, Angular, Vue, Mongo, etc.
- Backing for sync catchphrases
- Eradicates the need to update mobile apps
Github Stars: 41,400
Koa.js is another Node.js framework which was made by the engineers behind Express.
It utilizes ES2017 async capacities. It is thought of as a littler, progressively expressive, and increasingly powerful foundation for making web applications and APIs.
In addition, Koa doesn’t package any middleware inside the center.
This means that the middlewares are increasingly streamlined and each line of code is very rich and granular.
Likewise, it grants you to structure the parts in the manner you need.
Here are the highlights of Koa.js.
Besides, Koa utilizes async capacities to ease the process of error handling.
Key Features of Koa.js
- Reasonable coding experience
- Lightweight architecture
- More customization options
- Limits the use of callbacks to enhance error handling
- Faster coding
- Cleans up messy codes
Github Stars: 26,200
Socket.io is a web-socket structure that can be accessed by various programming languages.
In NodeJS, Socket.io permits creating web socket applications like chatbots, score tickers, dashboard APIs, and others.
Socket.io has critical advantages over the regular Node.js web application frameworks.
Key Features of Socket.io
- Ability to customize URL routing for web sockets
- Auto-generation of identifiers for all sockets
- Easy socket management
- Seamless Socket authentication
- Can handle servers that don’t support HTTP 1.1
- Real-time analytics
- Binary streaming
- Supports auto-correction, anomaly detection, multiplexing, etc.
Github Stars: 46,861
Being worked with TypeScript implies that Nest accompanies solid typing and consolidates components of OOP (Object Oriented Programming), FP (Functional Programming), and FRP (Functional Reactive Programming).
Nest likewise utilizes Express. It gives an out-of-the-box application design that takes into account the easy making of exceptionally testable, adaptable, loosely coupled, and effectively viable applications.
Nest CLI can be utilized to produce nest.js applications with plenty of highlights.
Key Features of Nest.js
- Better reliability because of TypeScript.
- Provides a modular structure to arrange codes systematically
- Easy front end development on AngularJS because Nest and Angular both use TypeScript
- Features of Express.js
- Unlock amazing features using Nest CLI
Github Stars: 10,128
Sails.js is a real-time MVC web development Node.js made on Express. The MVC engineering looks like that of Ruby on Rails.
Also, it underpins the more current, information-driven style of web application and API development.
Sails.js can create an API bookstore. For example, Sails offers you some essential blueprints, so you don’t have to compose any code.
Take a look at the pros and cons of using Sails.js.
Moreover, Sails.js is good with practically all frontend technologies extending from React, Angular, Android/Java, Windows Phone, and so on.
Key Features of Sails.js
- Easy project template generation
- Quick development of object models using front end
- Easy integration of middleware
- Built-in support for AWS S3 and GridFS
- Offers Object Rational Mapping (ORM) to provide use of all databases
- Highly compatible with front-end web development platforms
- Supports Socket.io
- Hassle-free handling of HTTP requests.
Github Stars: 19,887
LoopBack is a Node.js framework that offers freedom to designers to assemble dynamic end-to-end APIs with practically no coding.
With regards to the backend, LoopBack.js furnishes simplicity of incorporation with the vast majority of the databases: Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, MongoDB, and SOAP among others.
Here’s how it works;
With LoopBack, you get an alternative to run the applications on-premises or in the cloud.
Enormous brands like Bank of America, GoDaddy, and Sapient utilize LoopBack structure.
Key Features of LoopBack.js
- Rich documentation for speedy development
- Structured code
- Easily connect browsers and devices to data
- Can run on a cloud as well
- Add-ons for file management, third party login
- Has model-relation-support
- Supports multiple databases
Github Stars: 11,985
Derby.Js is an open-source Node.js framework.
It is based on the MVC structure and it is additionally a full-stack Node.js web application framework.
Derby.Js is viewed as perfect for building collective applications.
You can construct both quality web and mobile applications with Derby.Js.
Key Features of Derby.js
- Easy sync of data-time between browsers, servers, and databases
- Self-regulating time to allow multi-users in the same application
- Various editing options
- Work on both client-side and server-side scripts
- Real-time custom website development
- Auto conflict resolution
Github Stars: 4,350
Total.js brag of being an extremely quick Node.js web application framework that requires little support.
It offers great performance and consistent scaling progress.
So far, the Total.js group has invested some energy attempting to get increasingly premium sponsors to go along with them. This is another sign that they have plans to expand and add additional features.
Key Features of Total.js
- Supports various databases like MySQL, MongoDB, and PostgreSQL
- Allows front-end development on Angular, Ember, and React
- Modular code structure and offers features like image processing tool, simple mail transfer protocol (SMTP) system, etc.
- Create real-time responsive apps
- Has the NoSQL database imbedded to offer efficient project development
- Quick prototyping
- Community chat
- Loads of pre-built components for quick and seamless development
Github Stars: 3,853
Adonis is a well-known Node.js MVC system.
It is profoundly suggested for composing versatile server-side web applications.
As indicated by the official documentation of Adonis.js, it runs on all major OS.
You can undoubtedly compose diverse web applications with Adonis with only a few lines of codes.
It is basic, simple to utilize, and offers developers a safe development stage.
Key Features of Adonis.js
- Consistent ecosystem to save time
- Easy data handling from databases like Postgres and SQLite
- Easy to learn and adapt to
- The structure is almost as that of Laravel
- Creates efficient SQL queries
Github Stars: 5,053
Keystone.js is a full-stack and open-source system.
Created in Express.js and MongoDB, this amazing structure is utilized for creating database-driven applications, sites, and APIs.
For a considerable length of time, developers have been depending on this system as a confided in buddy because of its adaptable, lightweight, and extensible qualities.
Key Features of Keystone.js
- The UI of this Node.js framework is amazing, customizable, and easy to manage.
- Supports dynamic routes, blocks, and form processing, thus enabling easy development of dynamic websites and applications
- Easy integration with online platforms like Cloudinary, Mandrill, Google Places, etc.
- Stable management to the development progress
- Support for other apps and frameworks like JSP, ASP.NET, WCF, etc.
Github Stars: 16,398
Feathers.js is a quick, small scale service, REST Node.js framework.
Created on Express.js, it offers users to create present-day isomorphic applications.
Indeed, engineers can, without much of a stretch, make any web application and record any sort of REST API without any preparation because of the adaptable and perfect design this structure underpins.
Key Features of Feathers.js
- Share common functionalities between client-side and server-side
- Seamless communication between apps and third-party services.
- Access to relational and non-relational databases.
- Integration of optional plugins
Github Stars: 11,803
In the event that there is anything we can pick from this article, I can wager you most certainly understood that picking the best Node.js framework totally depends upon the kind of website or web app you’re planning to build.
The Node.js frameworks above have simply given us that whatever structure we are going for, there is an open and inviting network out there comprehending issues and prepared to help you with learning the essentials of that specific structure.